One hundred pounds of marijuana have washed ashore to the beaches of Florida's Atlantic Coast. The bundles have washed ashore and federal law enforcement officers are expected to collect the bundles of marijuana so that they may investigate where it came from. There has been at least one man arrested for trying to take the marijuana and he was charged with possession of marijuana and released on bail.
Marijuana Possession and Transporation in Washington State
In Washington, it is illegal for any person to possess a controlled substance, “unless the substance was obtained directly from, or pursuant to, a valid prescription or order of a practitioner while acting in the course of his or her professional practice.” Except where authorized by state law, any person that is found in possession of a controlled substance is guilty of a class C felony.
The possession of marijuana or marijuana-infused products for the purpose of physical transportation or delivery within the state of Washington does not violate the law so long as it the transportation and delivery follow the regulations set forth by the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board. The transportation of “marijuana or marijuana products that are being transported" must meet the following requirements.
- Only a marijuana licensee, an employee of the licensee, a transportation licensee, or a certified testing lab may transport product and/or occupy a transporting vehicle.
- Drivers and/or occupants of a transporting vehicle must be twenty-one years of age or older.
- Marijuana or marijuana products must be in a sealed package or container approved by the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board.
- Sealed packages or containers cannot be opened during transport.
- Marijuana or marijuana products must be in a locked, safe, and a secure storage compartment that is secured to the inside body/compartment of the vehicle transporting the marijuana or marijuana products.
- Any vehicle transporting marijuana or marijuana products must travel directly from the shipping licensee to the receiving licensee and must not make any unnecessary stops in between except to other facilities receiving product.
Unlicensed Individuals possessing marijuana in excess of the following amounts will be subject to criminal prosecution.
- “One ounce of usable marijuana;
- Seven grams of marijuana concentrate/extract for inhalation;
- 16 ounces of marijuana-infused product in solid form;
- 72 ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form.”
It is safe to say that if 100 pounds of marijuana washed ashore in Washington and a person tried to carry it away, they may certainly be arrested for possession of marijuana, with or without a marijuana carrier license.
The Law Offices of Steve Karimi Can Help
If you or someone you love has been arrested for the possession of marijuana you need to retain the legal assistance of an experienced criminal defense lawyer immediately. Depending on the exact charge, the amount in possession, and several other variables, a person arrested for drug possession can face very serious penalties. At the Law Offices of Steve Karimi, we are dedicated to defending the constitutional rights of our clients and work hard to obtain the most favorable outcome possible. Contact us today.